Music that's on my radar...

on Thursday, June 10, 2010

I am one of those guys that is always humming a tune. I actually like listening to a whole lot of different stuff. Although I guess I could be classified as somewhat of an old soul. Anyway...here are two albums that I'm really into right now:


1. The Captain and the Kid: Elton John (2006)
This album is so impressive on many fronts. First off it's the self proclaimed brother to Elton's blockbuster album Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy. It's not easy to equal an album as good as Captain Fantastic---and I don't claim the Captain and the Kid to do that. However, what the album does is provide a nice finale to the story of Elton and his long time writing parter---Bernie Taupin. The songs---penned by Taupin---reflect on the turbulent years of Elton John sky rocketing to world fame. The lyrics are poetic and fun; reflective but not cocky. Best track on the album: Just Like Noah's Ark---which describes the chaotic, crazy, drug filled arrival of Elton and Bernie in America. Best lyric of the album: The Captain and the Kid. A great end to a good album. Sums up the great partnership that Elton and Bernie have. Give it a listen below and I guarantee you won't be able to get it out of your head.
Have a listen:




2. The Boy Who Knew Too Much: by MIKA (2009)

MIKA (pronounced MEE-KA) is one of those artists that you are either going to love or hate. He 's got a pop sound that is just unique enough for me to enjoy. This is his follow-up album to his succesful debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion. The lyrics are pretty predictable and some of the songs are your typical current pop tunes. However, there are some great tracks on this album that put it above the rest. I like describing it as the perfect driving to work music. It's not something you would listen to all day---but it hits the right chord for just enough time to put you in a good mood. Listen to two songs from this album and I dare you to tell me you aren't in a better mood and tapping your feet...




0 comments:

Post a Comment