Sizing up the field

on Thursday, August 26, 2010

There has been a lot of talk recently of potential 2012 challengers for President Obama. Here's my take (listed from best to worst):



1. Mitt Romney: Anyone who knows me shouldn't be surprised about this pick. Mitt's my man and I'm hoping for a strong showing from the former Governor in 2012. Back in 2008 Romney ran as the social conservative candidate---but it all felt a little forced. Now Romney can actually run as the policy wonk that he is. In 2008, a Mormon wasn't good enough for the GOP. In 2012, a Mormon who knows economics, will hopefully be good enough. Romney's going to have to get off to a fast start in the primaries: something tells me this isn't going to be hard.

2. Senator John Thune: Here's another guy that just looks like a President. I think we are long over due for another plains state President. He's got all skills---now the only thing that stands in his way is fundraising and name recognition. Thune could be a legit dark horse---also a for sure for any candidates VP list.

3. Gov. Tim Pawlenty: Another good plains state candidate. An accomplished governor who I guarantee wouldn't carry Minnesota in a general election though. He would be able to carry a good, common sense message to voters. But he has a tendency to get a little too hokey for my likes.

4. Mike Huckabee: I loathed Huck back in 2008 after all his unfair attacks on Romney. Huckabee is a sly politician who comes across as that neighbor who always has a joke for any situation. He tugs at the heart strings, but isn't big enough to take on Obama in 2012.

5. Rep. Ron Paul: I have to admit that I hated Ron Paul back in 2008. But the more libertarian I become, the more I like Ron Paul. The problem is that Paul is just too frank and too bold to appeal to independent and moderate voters. A smart man who is unfairly attacked by Republican talking heads like Sean Hannity.

6. Gov. Haley Barbour: This is the one guy you don't want running against Obama. Barbour is a Southern governor who looks, whether it's fair or not, like he is harboring some sort of ill feelings toward people. He looks as though he could serve as the poster child for a corrupt politician. He is famous for his fund raising skills. But is a Southern governor with a thick Mississippi accent the style that will defeat a black guy in 2012....nope.

7. Gov. Bobby Jindal: eight words for you...THE WORST STATE OF THE UNION RESPONSE EVER.



8. Gov. Rick Perry: any Republican who talks openly about secession need not apply in my book. This guy is exactly why so many people still hate Republicans.



**********Just a note, Sarah Palin is not on the list because I do not consider her a serious conservative, nor a serious politician.

1 comments:

Steve at Random said...

You left off the New Jersey Governor. I like Gov. Christie and Sen. Thune. Not wild about Mitt. But to each his own.

Post a Comment