What About Joseph?

on Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas is almost upon us and it is wonderful to hear the traditional stories surrounding the birth of Christ. However, the other day I started thinking: what about Joseph? It seems that Mary and Jesus are given the spotlight during the holiday season. Joseph is just a side character in a much bigger event. However, I think it would do us some good to think about Joseph this Christmas season.
There are actually two songs that I am familiar with that offer a good insight into the situation of Joseph. The first is entitled "Joseph's Lullaby." It is meant as a sort of insight into what Joseph must have been thinking about the daunting father hood that awaited him. Some key passages that really stick out are: "What can I give You, You made from miracles?" "What can you learn from me, You made from miracles?". Joseph wrestles with the idea that it might be down right impossible to be a father to the Messiah. What possibly could a man offer the child of God? The song ends up quite beautifully with Joseph finally realizing what he can offer to his new son: "But if it's love you need, You made from miracles then take my hand and hold it tight, And I will give you love." I get chills every time I hear this line. The image of a scared Joseph holding his young son knowing full well that whatever he does for his son will forever be far less than what his son will ultimately do for him. Yet there is something quite beautiful to that. I think we miss the point that Joseph could have ran. He could have packed up and let his wife handle it by herself. Yet he stayed. He humbled himself to his very son and stayed. This makes me wonder why Joseph isn't talked about more. In a day and age when male role models are hard to come by why not elevate the image of Joseph?
There is another song that deals with the inner thoughts of Joseph and it's entitled, "Joseph, better you than me." It's by the popular rock group The Killers and the great Sir Elton John. It was released last year as a Christmas single. The lyrics of this tune point to, once again, the great stress and dilemma's Joseph must have been dealing with. The lyrics are quite haunting at times: "Well your eyes haven't been the same, Joseph. Are you bad at dealing with the fame, Joseph?"... "Are the rumors eating you alive, Joseph?"..."Do you wish you were back there at the carpenter shop?"
This song also points to the fact that hardly any of us would want to deal with what Joseph had to deal with. The mystery, the rumors, the uncertainty. I think most of us would agree, "Joseph, better you than me."
This Christmas season let's not bypass the great story that can be found within Joseph. Let's meditate on the courage and faithfulness that was needed to overcome the situation he was in. Let's not forget that when the Christ child entered the world of man, he was greeted by both a loving mother and father. It didn't have to be that way, but Joseph made the choice to stay. Let's strive to find the inner Joseph inside all of us this Christmas season.

3 comments:

randymeiss said...

I am no expert by any stretch, and what little information I do have is from unverifiable sources. But the story I hear most often is that Joseph died when Jesus was fairly young and Mary was a single mom in the years before Jesus entered the ministry. This is to explain why there isn't much recorded about Joseph except when Jesus is extremely young.

All that aside I agree with what you have said. I try every Advent season to ponder Joseph's role in Jesus' life.

Steve at Random said...

What is this...the softer and gentler side of Jake? I've come to rely on this column to get my daily dose of liberal-bashing, but now I have to wade through this thoughtful piece about Joseph...and at Christmas time. Hmmm. Maybe you are a well rounded individual. Yes, perhaps you horizons stretch further than mere politics. Well, enough gushing...good column. And, for the record, I never really thought much of Joseph. Perhaps I should.

Steve at Random said...

As luck would have it, our Sunday School lesson this week was about Joseph and his role in the Christmas story. I think all of the class members, including myself, never gave Joseph a second thought until the writer of the material -- and you -- made us focus on Joseph this year. Maybe, after 2000 years, he was due for a little limelight.

Post a Comment